Chicken Shrimp & Sausage Gumbo-A rich, flavorful gumbo with authentic flavors – loaded with chicken, sausage, shrimp and crab legs. Simply Delicious.
I Heart Gumbo! It just blends right in with my African Cuisine -spicy, substantial, well seasoned, full of amazing ingredients … I have got to say the combination is right on point. Now how could anyone not want to make this ?
Don’t let the ingredients list scare, making gumbo is simple and straight food and is no more complicated than making stew. After you get past the stirring (making the roux) everything else is a breeze. This gumbo is loaded with hearty pieces of chicken thighs, smoked sausage, crab legs and shrimp. The key to a great gumbo is the roux- a roux is basically equal parts of oil and flour, stirred together to eliminate the floury taste. With gumbo the stirring is prolonged to achieve a chocolate color to intensify the flavor the stew.
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 8 oz. Smoked sausage
- 2 pounds chicken skinless chicken thigh
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 3 sticks)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 14oz. can tomatoes(chopped)
- ½ pound crab legs
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning.
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder or 1 cube
- 1-tablespoon thyme fresh or dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1-tablespoon gumbo file
- 10 cups cooked rice
- Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil over medium heat in a heavy bottomed Dutch
- Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and remove. Add the sausage and cook until browned, and then remove. Set aside
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed saucepan combine melted butter, oil and flour until smooth.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring continuously, for about 20-30 minutes or until it turns a rich dark brown color – just like chocolate. Don’t walk away from the stove during this process. It might burn.
- When you have achieved your desired color. Remove from stove and let it cool.
You can find complete recipes of this Chicken Shrimp & Sausage Gumbo in africanbites.com