When you need a fast treat that will please everyone, make these Muddy Buddy Krispie Treats. They’re like eating muddy buddies in rice krispies treat form!
I feel like it’s been awhile since I told you what I’ve been reading. I’ve read a few books lately that were amazing, so I want to share my list with you. Let me know what you’re reading in the comments; I’m always looking for good books!
At the end of summer I let Jordan throw a pool party with her girlfriends. I always have treats on hand but I needed to make something dairy-free because a friend who is allergic to dairy was coming over. Now, if you’re thinking to yourself that Rice Krispies Treats are not dairy-free, don’t worry. They can be!
(Note: the dairy allergy we deal with is intestinal, not respiratory, and she is not affected by chocolate.)
I actually made versions of these all summer long – they’re my new favorite go-to dairy-free dessert because they’re done in just a few minutes with no baking. I simply replace the butter called for in the normal krispie treats recipe with vegetable oil. You can also use coconut oil! I add peanut butter to the mix as well, because I’ll never say no to peanut butter.
That last day of summer I was wondering what I could do to the treats to make them different and I immediately thought of muddy buddies!
Muddy Buddies are a sweet treat made with Chex cereal that’s coated with chocolate and peanut butter and then shaken in a bag of powdered sugar. It’s a messy heavenly snack that I cannot be around. Seriously, put me near a bowl of muddy buddies and they’ll be gone in 2 minutes flat.
So of course I decided to marry two iconic treats. I made my rice krispie treats with peanut butter and melted chocolate chips, and then I rolled the treats in powdered sugar before serving.
These disappeared very quickly, let me just tell you. #winner
- 2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 (10 ounce) bag marshmallows
- 2 cups (about 12 ounces) chocolate chips
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal (or any cereal)
- Powdered sugar, for dipping
- Line a 9×13” pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place butter, peanut butter, marshmallows, and chocolate in a large bowl. Heat in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until the mixture is melted. Quickly stir in the rice krispies.
- Press into prepared pan. Let them cool, then cut into squares.
You can find complete recipes of this MUDDY BUDDY KRISPIE TREATS in crazyforcrust.com