Simply the BEST! Our traditional Snowball Christmas Cookies are buttery, with plenty of walnuts and vanilla for a rich and flavorful melt-in-your-mouth shortbread cookie (also known as Russian Teacakes or Mexican Wedding Cookies). Never dry because the dough is made with granulated sugar, not confectioners’ sugar like other recipes that make the cookies too dry. Scrumptious gluten free option included using our own GF flour blend. Everyone loves these classic nutty shortbread Christmas cookies!
- 1 cup (2 sticks/226 grams) unsalted butter, softened slightly
- 5 tablespoons (63 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 grams) kosher salt
- 2 cups (240 grams) organic all-purpose flour, such as King Arthur Flour®
- 2 cups (about 240 grams) finely chopped walnuts
- 1½ cups (about 188 grams) confectioners’ sugar, for dusting cookies twice
- Using an electric stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, or handheld electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in the vanilla and salt. Gradually add flour or gluten free flour blend (see Notes); beating after each addition. Stir in the nuts; mix until fully incorporated. Divide dough in half and refrigerate in plastic wrap for approximately 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange oven rack in middle of oven and preheat to 350ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Place confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl; set aside. Measure dough using a small, 1-inch spring-loaded scoop making sure each scoopful is level. Roll dough between palms of hands to achieve a small rounded ball.
You can find complete recipes of this Snowball Christmas Cookies in wickedgoodkitchen.com